Sorry for the lapse in updates - we've been trying to enjoy every minute of being at home before having to return to The James tomorrow that we haven't posted anything! Here's what's happening:
Last Sunday, Rebecca woke up at 3am (ok, it was actually Monday) with a raging fever. In the morning she was whisked away with a virus to her father's, where she has been cossetted in isolation. We aren't sure what it is but it seems to be presenting itself like Fifth's disease - http://www.cdc.gov/parvovirusb19/fifth-disease.html - fever, headache, body aches, and a rash over her entire body. Needless to say, no one has been enjoying this, least of all Rebecca. In the meantime, Gloria has been feeling well and getting stronger everyday. The only good news about the timing of Rebecca's illness is that Mom was already self-sufficient: cooking, cleaning and even ironing (her favorite Saturday pasttime) for herself and Team Gloria. Karen and Sid have been taking good care of her and Mom has gotten to enjoy some time outside in the beautiful weather we are having!
Mom and Sid are preparing to head back to The James tomorrow for the next round of treatment. Although she isn't super thrilled, she heads back with the knowledge that she is strong and with the experience to know that she can get through this. It also helps that Mom takes with her all of the love and support she has received from all of her friends and family! We'll continue to keep you all abreast of the situation and please continue to send good thoughts and energy our way!!
With much love,
Rebecca, Karen, Sidney and Gloria
Good morning, Gloria! Just so you know...I am absolutely sending good thoughts and energy your way as you travel back to The James today. BUT you'll be home again soon, and this is what I look forward to! :) Stay strong, my friend! With love as always!
ReplyDeleteSafe travels! I will be thinking of you.
ReplyDeleteKeri
Dear Gloria,
ReplyDeleteI hope things are going smoothly back at the James. We've been sending our specially compressed healing thoughts your way. I hope the smell hasn't been too overwhelming.
I've been thinking of you a lot lately in relation to bugs. Insects and arachnids mostly. Ladybugs, bees, rollie-pollies, flies, spiders and their webs are very fascinating for some people in my family right now. I think about you and the story of Rebecca sweeping the porch and how you understood that the spiderwebs needed to be spared the broom's horrible bristles.
I ate some bitter hypocrite sandwich the other day when after many conversations about how gentle we need to be with little creatures and how they are their own beings that we can't subordinate to our will etc., I blithely smacked an annoying fruit fly, leaving a tiny smear of blood on our kitchen wall. Luca, sitting in his highchair, looked for a moment like he had been hollowed-out. "My mother is a killer." He couldn't stop looking at the no more fruit fly spot but didn't say anything. Heartbreaking.
What to say...? Your mother IS a killer and a hypocrite when it comes to little creatures IN THE HOUSE that eat our food/clothes/furniture/selves? Does that sound defensible? I hope so because that's the best I can do at the moment.
Love Jessica
Good morning, my friend, on Wednesday, August 15th. I hope the sun is shining in Columbus and you are feeling like the treatments are extra insurance to bring you back to good health. Wishing you a bright day filled with positive effects of chemo AND the unwavering support of so many family and friends. Looking forward to having you back home soon. We love you, Gloria.
ReplyDeleteMessage to your chemo treatments: FIx her for good and get rid of this F L once and for all. Am thinking about you a lot, Gloria. You must know how much all of us love you and are sending you warmth, healing thoughts, and all of love.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.learningplaceonline.com/illness/living/survival-kit.htm
ReplyDeleteDaily Survival Kit for Serious Illnesses
By Thomas L. McDermitt
You don't have to agree with all of this all of the time. But, if it generally speaks to you, try to read all or parts of it everyday, or have it read to you. Part of the help is in the doing, regardless of your attitude or emotions on that day. On some levels the help is gradual and often not evident.
1. Today I am going to try to live through this day only, and not dwell on or attempt to solve all my problems at once; just focus on the piece that is today. I can do something for several hours that would be difficult to even think about continuing for several months.
2. Just for today, I am willing to accept the possibility that there is a purpose to this suffering; that it can be a source of meaning and growth for myself and others, though I may not always recognize the ways. And it seems possible that this suffering will not be in vain, because of what may be some kind of existence beyond.
3. Just for today, let me remind myself that I am basically a worthwhile person, worth loving, despite my faults and limits. I deserve the efforts of others to help me through my illness.
4. Just for today, I want to be aware that it is all right to want too much from others at times. Illness brings out and intensifies the small child in all of us. And if I feel hurt when those who care for me cannot be there, it may help to remember that they have needs, frailties, and limitations of their own. A lack of response does not mean that they are personally rejecting me.
5. Today I may feel the need to complain a great deal; I may have little tolerance; I may cry; I may scream. That does not mean that I am less courageous or strong. All are ways of expressing anger over this mess, of rightly mourning my losses. Endurance itself is courage.
6. It is my life at stake now. So maybe today I can allow myself to be a little less concerned about the reactions or impressions of others. Maybe I can allow myself to feel a little less guilty or bad about what I did not accomplish or give. Perhaps today I can be a little more gentle toward myself.
7. Surviving this is all so difficult. At times it seems impossible - that I have had enough. Down the line I will know if and when I have had enough, when I cannot push the limits any further. I will have the right to choose to stop, without feeling that I am "giving up." But today I think I can deal with this illness. Sorrow runs very deep, but I think I can rise again.
8. Just for today, maybe I can give healing "the benefit of the doubt." The drugs are powerful; the natural healing capacity of my body is powerful. And who knows, perhaps there is healing power in my will to struggle, and in the collective love and will of others.
9. Just for today, perhaps I can take heart that we are all connected. And I may still have some things left to contribute to the family of man; some light to add to the light. Even now my endurance (however imperfect) is a gift, an inspiration for others in their struggles.
10. It seems reasonable that there is a season for everything, and a time for every purpose. Pain, weakness, and exhaustion may distort my senses and spirit. Today, however, I can at least find some hope in nature's way, if not in some master plan. The chances are fairly good, and it seems worthwhile to hope, that I will have some cycle of wellness yet.
Hi, Gloria! Well, it's Fall Conference...and you know what that means! :) In the midst of all the hustle and bustle, I'm still thinking about you and praying that your days are good and that you know we are all still out here sending you love, strength, and healing thoughts. Hang onto this whenever you need us!
ReplyDeleteLove you, Gloria!
Thought of you today..as many of us did today when your name flashed across the screen during Dr. Johnson's presentation. We all think of you often and miss you terribly. Missing you and wishing you a great weekend.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
M
Good morning, Gloria! That's all.... :) Love you!!!!
ReplyDeleteThinking about you a lot today--Dave just finished the Provost's Welcome, and of course did a great job. Sending more messages to that Chemo so that it keeps that f***ing L far away for good.
ReplyDeleteAll my love to you and to that wonderful team you have.
Lori
Hi Gloria and Sid,
ReplyDeleteBummer that you're an in-patient again, but sounds like only for a little while this time. So glad you had some "at home time," but honey, what the hell were you doing IRONING?!!!. Get back on that sofa and be waited on ... tho I know you could never do that!
So sorry to hear about Becca ... is she OK now? What a crummy turn of events. Bah! We're just home from a fishing trip in the Cacades near Crater Lake. Caught some lovely rainbow trout, but honey, this old lady is having a harder & harder time getting in and out of that boat. Don't tell Les, but I took the bait off my line so I could finish "50 Shades of Grey" while waiting for a bite. He couldn't understand why he was catching all the fish and felt so sorry for me. Men and their fishing poles!
Seriously, hope this round of chemo isn't too tough. I truly think of you every day ... looking at the mountains from our little boat last week, I really sent lots of light and good vibes up those cliffsto you.
Will phone when you're home again, and hopefully NOT ironing!
Love you,
BB
Gloria,
ReplyDeleteWhat a crazy week... just coming up for air. I had countless faculty and staff ask me to send hugs, prayers and well wishes your way on their behalf. I sure hope you feel all our love. Thinking of you and praying for you each and every day!
Love, dave
Gloria,
ReplyDeleteYou have been much on my mind this week, and I hope the treatments are doing their thing and doing it well. It was comforting to know you were home for a while, and we all want you back here soon!
Team Goldman: thanks for your continuing loving care of our special friend. Let us know if there's anything we can do for YOU!
Love and a hug to all,
Helen
Hey, Gloria! I'm just checking in to say hello and to send along positive thoughts and prayers for you and hoping that you'll be home soon! I miss you! :( So, I hope all is well and going along as planned...and that you'll be home soon...and yes, even if that means you're spending time ironing(I can't relate; I hate ironing!!!). Love you, my friend!
ReplyDeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteOK, I am with the program now. This is a cool site. Sorry for the phone call yesterday--no need, of course to call back as I now understand you are heavily into the treatment phase of this sucker.
What a kick in the ass. I do not like this stage in life when too much of the news about life is related to illness.
However, on we must go, and I am confident you are taking this thing on with your usual style. I will keep track of you on this site, and thanks to the tech folks in your family who have it set up and keep giving us news.
As to my health issues, I am pleased to say that just three weeks out from the accident, I can negotiate most of the ADLs here in my home--with the assistance of a walker/cane combo and a transition seat for the tub/shower. Thanks to aging parents, we have an extra walker so I can keep one on each floor, and then use the cane for the steps. Home based PT starts tomorrow and I hope to get to a pool for some water therapy this week or next.
I will look forward to the day, later this fall, when we are both back to a pre-morbid state and can get together for dinner.