Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Champagne Biopsy

Our first week at home ended on a positive note.  On Wednesday, Gloria and Sidney reluctantly made their way back to the James Cancer Center to get the most recent bone marrow biopsy. The team of doctors assured us that Mom's blood work was looking good, showing improvements all around, but that there was a possibility of the leukemia returning with the recovery of her white blood cells.  This made us a bit anxious and we were on edge for a few days. On Friday, the results came in and the verdict is....Mom is officially in remission! This helped to put us all at ease.

We are not out of the woods yet but this means that Mom gets to move forward with her treatment. She will re-enter the James on Monday, August 13 to begin the consolidation therapy. This is a fancy term for chemo but this time it is a little easier on the body, as it is a regimen of fewer chemicals at a lower dose. She'll get the chemo for 5 days and then will be in the James recovering, probably for a week or so after that. That means that we'll likely be home again at the end of August.

In the meantime, we are very much enjoying our time together at home. Mom is getting stronger by the minute. Karen and Rebecca are now allowing her to go up and down the stairs alone, and starting this morning, Gloria even got up and made her own breakfast. Rebecca was not too sorry to sleep in a little, and as you can imagine, Mom hates to be pampered, so she didn't mind getting her yogurt for herself. Now she is able to eat whatever she wants and tomorrow she will be free from the antibiotics and the fanny pack. She is particularly thrilled at this prospect. At the moment, she is watering her plants in her bathrobe, bald and beautiful.

Mom and all of Team Gloria want to reiterate our gratitude to everyone who has written, called, etc. It is humbling to be so loved and is helping all of us as we travel this road and all of its uncertainties.

Much love,

Rebecca, Karen, Sidney, and Gloria

18 comments:

  1. What wonderful news! I have been compulsively checking this blog to get this news. And now, what a great way to spend the weekend -- knowing you are in remission and headed toward better health. Take good care of yourself, Gloria, and know that you are loved by so many. We will miss you on the 11th but certainly understand. You can bet that everyone will be thinking of you and sending you our love, positive energy, and prayers. A special toast to you and this wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gloria... WONDERFUL news! I am smiling ear-to-ear!!! Continue to take good care of yourself and we will keep prayers, positive thoughts, and love coming in mega doses. :)

    love, dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gloria - Such happy news! I,too, have been checking this blog on a daily basis and so relieved to hear the "remission" word! Sending my love and a giant hug!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Team Gloria,
    What a relief. I am another one of those checking on a daily basis, probably one of a host of others. I'm glad you have more time at home before the next round. No matter what they call it chemo is not for sissies.

    Always in my thoughts,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Couldn't be happier to read this blog update!! Gloria, you are amazing...if anyone was going to kick cancer's ass, I knew it would be YOU.

    Karen and Rebecca...such wonderful daughters you are, thanks for keeping everyone who loves your Mom updated.

    Rena

    ReplyDelete
  6. WONDERFUL! I'm so happy to read this update! Enjoy this time at home.
    Thinking of you and sending you positive energy.
    Keri

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bald clearly is beautiful. Glad to hear this continually positive news.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for the update and the wonderful news! We are on our way to Seaside, Florida to celebrate Richard's 65th birthday and he asked me what I had heard. So using my not so trusty MiFI device, I logged into the blog. It was wonderful to read good news once again! As always our thoughts, prayers, meditations and positive thoughts are being sent your way. I love the visual of you, Gloria, in your bathrobe watering your plants - bald and beautiful! xoxoxo
    Scotti and Richard

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yaaaay!!!! This is the best news EVER! Big hugs to all of Team Gloria and a specially big hug to you, Gloria! Much love always...and I will continue with the postive thoughts and prayers as you begin the next step. In the meantime, enjoy your time at home! It's really nice to know that you're back in the neighborhood! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was waiting to exhale- and now I can- seeing official words of joy producing things! Remission and my favorite Bald and Beautiful. Always beautiful Gloria- from the inside out- that is what you are! Such unspeakable joy in my spirit

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just checking in to say good morning! It looks like it's going to be a beautiful day...enjoy it! Much love as always!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am just about to head home from work, and I am picturing you, in your bathrobe at home, sipping a drink with all of Team Gloria nearby. I hope that's what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thinking of you, Gloria and checking up on the latest report from Team Gloria. Glad to hear you are up and about, even if it is only to water your plants. I am sure you are happy to be in your own home. It sure is hard to think about all that has happened since June, and yet it seems like yesterday we heard the news. I am sending positive vibes and loving hugs to you...as YOU always say "Take Care of YOU.."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good morning, Gloria! Just checking in and sending much love and prayers your way. I know Monday is coming up...seems like all too fast...but it also means you'll be home again that much sooner! Yep, I'm a glass half full kind of person! :) Enjoy your day, and know that I'm thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just wanted to say HI!!! Miss you loads, but am so thankful to continually see positive updates. And now a joke:

    Doctor, doctor, can you give me something for my baldness?
    How about a few pounds of pig manure?
    Will that cure my baldness?
    No, but with that on your head no one will come near enough to notice you're bald.

    Lots of love to you and to your support squad.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gloria, I am sending extra love and positive energy as you begin consolidation therapy on Monday. Love, dave

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well Hello!! Sorry for my absenteeism...something about semesters transition is keeping busy :0) I am so thankful and relieved of all the wonderful news and am so glad you had some gorgeous weather this weekend to spend some time outside. I'm thinking of you today (and everyday) as you begin consolidation therapy. I'm thankful everyday for many things; including having your influence in my life.
    Many hugs to you and your team :0)
    M

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Team Gloria
    God Speed to The James! May the force be with you! Keep up the hand washing regimen and plenty of cursing when you're pissed off. Don' t let the tubes touch the bathroom floor and walk the exercise circuit around the nurses station with vigor and regularity. Discipline, discipline and more discipline.That's how it's done. Love and hope from us to you .

    Robin and Mike Miller

    ReplyDelete