Sunday, July 28, 2013

Living at Home

Greetings Friends!
  Sorry for the delay in communicating our latest news. Although we have been planning to update the blog, most things are unchanged from the last posting, and so we have put it off. It may sound a bit macabre, but in a way we have been waiting for the next shoe to drop. Mom had a bone marrow biopsy on June 28 and the results show that cells produced in the marrow are as close to 100% donor cells as one can get. That is good news! But the best news is that Gloria is still in complete remission, and though we understand that things might change, for the time being the cancer and cellular mutant FLT3 are absent.

While we are cautiously celebrating, there are other ailments that make things a bit uncomfortable for Gloria. The biggest issue right now is a torn ligament in the area of her right ankle, which is causing pain and limits taking walks and exercising. The cause of the tear was most likely over- exuberant physical therapy.  We are not a family known for our patience, so it isn’t surprising that Gloria overdid it trying to get back her strength. Doctors appointments have been scheduled in between clinic visits to stay on top of the white counts.

In spite of the ankle pain and the "bouncing" white blood cell levels, there have been good steps forward. Gloria and Karen met Rebecca in Many to celebrate Oren's 97th birthday (!!!) and returned relatively unscathed, if you don't count the backward fall at the airport. Too bad no one can literally put his/her ass in a sling.  We had a fantastic time catching up with friends and family.




The take home message, dear friends, is that Glo is home and continuing to do well in general. She has finally made it out to lunch with friends a couple of times, and is looking forward to getting out more. Rebecca will be here for a couple of weeks in August, and if all goes well, perhaps there will be a visit to California in the fall. We'll see what the doctors say.

Please feel free to call, text, e-mail, or drop by for a visit if you would like. Support from family and friends has meant everything during the past year. Thank you again and again.

Much love,

Rebecca, Karen, Sidney, and Gloria

4 comments:

  1. Well this is just fantastic! Apart from the falling, torn ligament, doctors visits... It is wonderful to hear that Team Gloria has been so successful! Gloria, I think of you often and am thrilled to know you are doing better and getting out and about. It sounds as though a visit may be in order soon...I sure would love to see you.
    Keri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you go to celebrate with your family and I think you look absolutely beautiful - truly a sight for sore eyes. I don't want to impose so you just say the word and we'll do lunch at any place of your choosing. You are missed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gloria: I just want you to know that I am thinking of you every day, mostly when I drop the F-bomb, which is frequent :)

    Keep getting stronger, but don't overdo it (stupid torn ligament)...

    Hope to see you soon.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy to see your smiling face in the picture from Many!! You look beautiful. It's so great to hear you are out & about a little bit. I think of you so often and heard you might make it out to visit Becca in Ca. If this happens, I would love to make a trip down for a quick visit and a long hug. Take good care of yourself. Love you. Sherry

    ReplyDelete