Thursday, March 21, 2013

100 Days

It's time to let out the breath you've been holding in for the last few months. Yesterday, we received the results from Gloria's first bone-marrow biopsy since the stem cell transplant and - drum roll please - the results indicate there is no leukemia evident and no mutant FLT 3 cells in the bone marrow! Phew...

Upon receiving the news, Gloria and Sidney have left the Apartment and are back in Dayton - no more rented furniture and downstairs neighbors with preferences for loud techno music. So now what? Over the next few months Mom will focus on recovering from the effects of the transplant and the long-term prednisone treatment. Unfortunately, all those steroids led to some muscle and weight loss, so Gloria has some work to do on regaining weight and muscle strength. She will start physical therapy next week to get those muscles into fighting shape. During this rest and recovery phase her white counts continue to fluctuate and are on the low side so she is staying close to home while those counts start to come up.

Even though the toughest times have hopefully been put behind us, there is still a lot of healing to do. As Mom puts it, she is ready to put leukemia in a box at the back of the closet. But being home is a welcome shift and hopefully will help everyone, especially Gloria and Sidney, find a more comfortable groove (which doesn't involve techno music). And speaking of Sidney, we can't say enough about his dedication and love for Gloria. He is an amazing partner and caregiver who equally needs rest, recovery, love and support.

Again we appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers. Keep your fingers crossed that this good news continues for Team Gloria!

Love,

Rebecca, Karen, Sidney and Gloria

8 comments:

  1. Oh, Gloria, this is just the news we were all waiting to read. I am so very happy that F********* Leukemia can soon become boxed up and put far into the back of that closet. If ever you want company when you are regaining your weight and muscle strength, just shoot me a note. I'd love to be a workout buddy with you.

    All my love to you and that very wonderful team of yours!!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOORAY!!! This is the best news in the world! Congratulations and continued love and good wishes for increasing strength as you return to a more normal pattern of living. Let me know if I can do anything to help. I'm in and out of Oakwood on a daily basis. Oh my, what wonderful news to end this week! I know you have endured a lot, but now you can put this away and move forward.

    Love,

    Your Friend Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent news! Back to Ridgewood Avenue to live life to its fullest. If the "back of the closet" is full put the box in the fireplace with some kindling and extra dry wood.

    Love from Oregon.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. G, I couldn't be happier! This is great news and I am smiling from ear-to-ear! I know being in your own home will be therapeutic and Pandora has some great techno music if you start to have withdrawal symptoms. I will give you a call in the near future so we can catch up.

    You are an amazing person with incredible strength... F Leukemia!!!!!

    Love, dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gloria,
    I am SO HAPPY TO READ THIS!!! I can't imagine how difficult this time has been for you and your family, and I am just so pleased. Enjoy your homecoming and know all of us are celebrating this fantastic news!
    Much love,
    Keri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful, wonderful news! Just so happpy for you and your fabulous team. Now, to which address shall we send the case of Oregon Pinot Noir? Thinking of you EVERY day with love.
    BB & Les

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, as always, I'm late to the party but damn what a fine party it is!! :) Happiness abounds... though I never had a doubt.

    Now, was it techno, electronica or dubstep? It's a fine distinction and Nick and I would be happy to have you accompany us to Electric Forest Fest in July for a tutorial. Now THAT is an experience not to be missed!

    Looking forward to the spring (or summer) day when we can sit on the patio at El Meson and talk of the trivial. Thanks for fighting so hard for all of us. A

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy I could cry...in fact, I think I will! Much love to you and that wonderful team of yours! I can't wait for the time when I can give you a hug myself...

    ReplyDelete