Gloria was readmitted to The James this past Saturday, due to a complete loss of appetite, related GI problems, and a low grade fever. Acute Graft vs Host Disease (GVHD) was suspected and confirmed following a sigmoidoscopy and biopsy. Gloria declined to be sedated during the procedure so she could watch it live. Although she has always been a bit modest and was not thrilled to have a room full of people viewing her nether regions, she remembered the wise words her former mother in-law had once said: "Nervous? What makes you think your asshole is so special?"
Gloria has been given large doses of steroids, IV fluids, and assorted other medications. Her sister Rebecca was here to experience the mild bouts of "Roid Rage" that followed (which mainly meant she was making comments about the ridiculous, horrifying women on television). Niece Erin also made it down from Chicago for a brief visit, and all of them enjoyed spending time together, despite their surroundings.
Hopefully Gloria will be back in The Apartment tomorrow, and Sidney will return to his caregiving duties. Her GVHD should be more manageable, but she will be once again severely immunocomprimised due to the steroids and some other meds. The nurse practitioner has placed her back under lockdown, so no more excursions for a while. In the meantime, Karen is asking her for help with her latest jokes, trying to keep her laughing.
Of course, we can't thank you enough for all the kind thoughts, cards, letters, comments, pictures, and prayers. We love you all.
Happy almost Mardi Gras,
Happy almost Mardi Gras,
Karen, Rebecca, Sidney, and Gloria
Appreciative of the update, but sorry to hear about the GVHD. I am not surprised at all that you didn't want the sedation. I'd love to be like you on that, but I just had my foot surgery and wanted to be absolutely certain that I would be sedated the entire time. And I am trying to avoid looking at the incision site until it heals completely (not sure that will be possible though). I clearly am not a member of the health care profession! Hope you are back at the Apartment by the time you read this message.
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful to talk with you this morning and hear that famous sense of humor trump everything else! I will be thinking about you and praying for you every day for the next two weeks as I venture to the City of Lights with the grandkids. Thanks for thinking of me and wishing me well. You are very special and I can't wait to give you a big hug in person. Love to you, Sidney, and the girls.
ReplyDeleteHey, Gloria! This is just a minor hurdle with the GVHD...but I'm glad to know that you're back in the apartment and nestled in! :) I think about you constantly and send as many positive thoughts your way as I can muster... My love to you, girlfriend, and hoping to chat soon!
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about this! Not being sedated sounds dreadful. You certainly are amazing- Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Keri
Hi Gloria,
ReplyDeleteJust reading this update from Phoenix where we are for February. Keep up the good effort-we think of you oftern and pray for your continued progress.It's going to be a big party when you come back to Dayton. Hugs, Jim and Jean Graham
It's cold today, but at least the sun is out. Just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you!!
ReplyDeleteLori
Hello, girlfriend! Just checking in to say hello and wishing you a sunny day there in the apartment! If so, find a sunny spot,close your eyes,and drink in the soothing warmth...and think of all those daffodils that are already starting to poke their heads out of the ground. Spring is coming! :)
ReplyDeleteLove you bunches!
Teresa
Just touching base to say hi. I've been checking the blog at least twice a day since Tom went to Paris. He is unable to access the blog but wondered if there were new posts. Since I am on here again, I thought I should at least say Hi and both Tom (from Paris) and I (from my sofa, with my foot elevated) have been thinking about you this past week.
ReplyDeleteLori
Hi Gloria - Dave told us all about his conversation with you the other day, it was nice to get an update. Just wanted to let you know that you are always in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted! Love, Jared
ReplyDeleteBonjour! Home at last and completing my adjustments to jet-lag. I've missed getting updates and hearing how you are doing. I trust that everything is moving in the right direction and you are feeling stronger each day. I thought of you several times in Paris and took notes for you and Sidney. I know you have other things on your mind right now, but in the not-too-distant future you will need my notes on croissants, baguettes, crepes, pastries, and wines. Can you tell where my priorities lie? Thinking of you and hoping you are feeling better and stronger.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Tom