Monday, December 3, 2012

Giving Thanks

Ok, so we are a bit late for a holiday post, but truly, we are full of thanksgiving these days. Thankful for our family and friends, thankful for the help and care of the staff at the James, and now so grateful to a stranger for making it possible for Gloria to get a new chance at healing by donating his stem cells. This past week we received the go ahead for the bone marrow transplant. Mom underwent some testing to check on her systems, all of which are looking good, and the donor also had some tests done to make sure that he wouldn't be passing on any communicable diseases. Fortunately, it turns out that the donor passed the tests, except that he is allergic to bees, which means that after the transplant, weirdly enough, Gloria will be allergic to bees. Given that Rebecca is also allergic, Gloria has had plenty of experience with Epipens, so we are going ahead with the transplant, despite the transfer of this "hypersensitivity disorder".

The logistics go something like this: Mom will check into the James Cancer Center again, this time on the bone marrow transplant unit, tomorrow, Tuesday, December 4th. She will go through intense chemotherapy for 6 days and then will get the stem cell transplant, much like a blood transfusion. After that, Mom will stay in the hospital in relative isolation for 2-3 weeks and then we will transfer to an apartment in Columbus for a month or two, while she continues to receive weekly treatment and check-ups at the James.

While we are anxious about starting this process, we are also acutely aware of our good fortune. Lucky that this wonderful man (yes, we know the donor is a man) has agreed to donate his stem cells. Lucky that his stem cells are a great match with Mom's (10 out of 10 HLAs). Lucky that the James Cancer Center is one of the top institutions in the world for this type of procedure. And most of all, so fortunate that we have such wonderful family and friends to help get us through these next few months.

And, in the spirit of giving, we want to encourage all of you to consider registering with the National Marrow Donor Program. This organization is how Mom was able to find such a great match and helps save many lives every year.

It is simple to register, just go to
http://marrow.org/Registry_Members/Donation/Steps_of_Donation.aspx

Thank you for considering being a donor or encouraging others to do so.

In the meantime, we will keep you posted as things progress.

Lots of love from all of us to all of you,

Rebecca, Karen, Sidney, and Gloria

5 comments:

  1. So glad to hear this news! Thank you for the update. I will be sending you well-wishes and positive thoughts these next few weeks as this process moves forward. I'm so very thankful that you have this donor!

    Thank you for the link also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the start of a long but hopeful journey, Gloria....and there are many people who are taking this journey with you so please know you are not alone. Draw strength from this. Look forward to spring and all that that season represent. As always and with much love,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thrilled and thankful to receive this news and begin to focus on the next critical steps on the journey to good health. God bless that donor! I remain with you in spirit and prayer, my friend, and know that if the past is any indicator, you will come through this with flying colors. As difficult as it might be, it is so worth the risks and prospects for a positive outcome. Be strong. Know you are not alone. Love, Tom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Gloria and Team: I am hoping this round of chemo is going as well as it possibly can. I wanted to let you know that I am trying to get registered through the National Marrow Donor Program. I called them to let them know there is a broken link on their website. As soon as it's fixed, I'll get registered. Since I'm old, they might not take me, but I'm trying anyway. At least no one would be allergic to bees if they get my cells (but there's lots of other stuff about me that they might not like!!)
    All my love and best wishes. Thanks for the updates.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have bees but we also have an Epipen. So far we are not allergic to the stings but we are prepared. Richard was stung the last time he checked on the hive and then the next day he was stung and chased. They did not want their home disturbed. So glad that life is moving forward in this direction. Great idea to have those who can register with the National Marrow Donor Program. We are organ donors but I never thought about stem cells. Great idea! You all are in our thoughts and prayers. On the Many front - I had the pleasure of spending time with Grace and Oren yesterday and to be a chaufferette for Grace - my raison d'etre. I am grateful and blessed for my connection to the Kelsey, Boone, Goldman clan. Peace!

    ReplyDelete