Tuesday, October 23, 2012

G.I. Agnes is another year older

Hello and sorry to everyone for the delay in delivering news of Gloria!

We are back in Dayton, recovering at home from the most recent bout of chemo. Round 3 went relatively routinely, although Mom was having some issues with the clinical trial drug (Sorafenib), but the docs readjusted the treatment and she is now on a lower dose. So far, things are progressing similarly as last time. Mom is entering the nadir - her white cell counts are down and her hemoglobin and platelets will follow - but she is in good spirits and looks really good. In fact, we are all enjoying her new hair-do, all gray and short and bad-ass. Karen and Rebecca think she looks like G.I. Jane, but Karen renamed her G.I. Agnes, due to the gray. The Team is back together again, with Rebecca back in Dayton, and we are all enjoying the beautiful fall colors and the warm weather of Indian Summer.  This weather feels perfect for ushering in Gloria's birthday, which is this Thursday, October 25, and she has been demanding a cake of some sort. Karen is scheming and will no doubt provide the perfect treat to celebrate the start of Gloria's xx year (a lady never tells).

We are all wishing for a swift and infection-free recovery and thank you all for your continued support and love.

xoxoxo,

Rebecca, Karen, Sidney, and Gloria






8 comments:

  1. So good to hear from the team! And even more pleased with the update. I can't wait to see the new "do". Perfect for combat. Can we talk you into a photo?

    Here is wishing you a wonderful relaxing and infection-free birthday!
    Keri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, Gloria!!!! I think you'll have plenty of cakes from a lot of people once cakes are on your menu again! :) In the meantime, I have no doubt your team will come up with something to make this day very special! With all my love and best thoughts,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Gloria! Just wanted to let you know I was thinking about you. Hope you have a speedy recovery. Lots of love, Jared

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gloria-

    Happy Belated Birthday. Just wanted to let you know that you constantly in our thoughts. We are sending good vibes and karma your way.
    Take good care,
    Marlene & Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Gloria,
    Great news about a bone marrow donor and your decision to move forward. I think of you every day and hope the recovery process will continue as planned. Everyone asks about you from Cheryl M., and Kerry to Gordon Walborogh. I had a great conversation with Pat several weeks ago, and we worried together on the phone.
    I hope someone on the Team Gloria will let me know if there anything I can do to assist--cook, transport, tell jokes. I am now back to work, and solidly into recovery from my accident in July--no more pain meds and excellent PT. Of course I would love to see you but understand it may not be appropriate at this point. I also know how tiring it can be to have too many people asking to be involved. BTW, happy birthday, and I will stay tuned to the blog. Thanks to Team Gloria for keeping us all informed. Take care, Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just checking in to say hello and to let you know I'm thinking of you...
    All my love and continued prayers,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Gloria. Hope the numbers have bottomed out and you are on the way to feeling better and less vulnerable. Also hope you had a great birthday on the 25th and were able to enjoy cake and ice cream. Thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers. Hope to see you soon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet you do look totally Bad Ass with short gray hair. Glad to hear the latest round of treatment went routinely, and am also glad to hear that all Team Gloria members are with you.

    Go, G I Agnes: Kick some F***ing Leukemia Booty!
    All my love,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete