Well, we lied to you. Not on purpose, but we received new information that puts us on a different treatment trajectory. Last Thursday, Gloria and Sidney met with Dr. Vasu at The James and it turns out that they found a bone marrow donor who is a very good match for Mom. This has given us a lot to think about over the last few days. After much deliberation, Gloria has decided to take the plunge and move forward with the bone marrow transplant. We feel that this will give her the best chance, though it will not be easy. So, that means that she and Sidney have a few more glorious days at home in Dayton. In the meantime, Gloria is trying to eat and sleep well and to get a little exercise in order to build back her strength. She is eating like a horse and has already gained 4 pounds in the last couple of weeks! Thanks to everyone who has been feeding her so well! We don't know yet what the timing of the transplant will be, but likely we will start in late October. Stay tuned for updates.
Love,
Rebecca, Karen, Sidney and Gloria
This is wonderful news -- a very good donor match and the same courage and determination that we all know so well in Gloria. Tough but doable and full of hope and promise for recovery and good health again. Thank God for people who give the gift of life! Go back for seconds, Gloria. Eat up, rest up, and know we are with you all the way. Love, Tom
ReplyDeleteWOW! So excited and hopeful for you! I know you are up for the challenge. Please keep us posted.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you always.
Keri
I always thought that old chestnut, 'you are what you eat" was nonsense until I went through treatment. I remember vividly sitting at the island in the kitchen while my sister in law Karla added up the calories as I consumed them and kept encouraging me to eat more. Protein sources were the most important to healing. Focus on today. One step at a time. Make your choices and go for it with everything you've got.
ReplyDeleteXO
Ann and Steve Kavanaugh
Go, Gloria, go!!!!! I'm thrilled with this news, and I know you can do this! I'll wait to hear more but know, in the meantime, that I'm routing for you! With much love as always,
ReplyDeleteTeresa
Tom, Keri, Ann, and Teresa have said it all very well.
ReplyDeleteBut we want you to know that we are also thrilled with the news. Your sister looked really relieved when she told us the news. We love you and we also know you can do this. I have observed that the Kelsey family is incredibly strong in spirit.
Scotti and Richard
Gloria: This sounds like really good news, and I am veyr encouraged for you. Miss you loads, but glad you are getting great care and have a good team by your side.
ReplyDeleteLori
Excellent news. Challenges still lie ahead but look at where you have been and where you are now! Amazing strength and courage and I would expect none the less from you. Glad to see Team GG is hanging strong and persevering the storms. I think of you often and continue to pray for strength and healing. The "Color Run" is this weekend in Cinci in support of the Leukemia/Lymphoma Society and we are walking for you!! Hopefully I will be able to email you a few pics. Hugs to you and Team GG!
ReplyDeleteMichelle