Tuesday, July 17, 2012
When You Are Going Through Hell, Keep Going
Yesterday was the day from hell. Morning started off on the wrong foot, with a fever and hair falling out. Karen said Mom looked like a lady with 17 cats - hair all over her robe. So, she gave Mom a buzz cut. Turns out Gloria looks adorable with a shaved head! Not a big surprise. After her "hair appointment" she had a run in with her TV (bumped her head), which caused her some discomfort. Due to the fever and the rash and some colon issues, lots and lots and lots of things had to be done in order to figure out what's causing all of these symptoms. Karen and Gloria were visited by no fewer than 25 people in one day! She had a chest x-ray, a CT scan of her chest and abdomen, blood draws, a skin biopsy, and a bone-marrow biopsy. Needless to say, she was exhausted. Fortunately, today has been a much calmer day. We've exercised, listened to a meditative chanting cd (thanks Jane!) and had a visit from the alternative therapies/mental health nurse. Let's hope the days to come are more like today and less like the hell from yesterday. Regardless, we'll take Winston Churchill's advice and just keep going.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Gloria,
ReplyDeleteI have lots of cute hats you can use. The hair falling out is definitely a dramatic shift even when you think you are prepared for it. I am not surprised you do the look justice.
I am so sorry for the variety of side effects. I hope they figure out ways to keep you more comfortable soon.
You are always in my thoughts.
However good or bad a situation is, it will change...
ReplyDeleteContinue to meditate and visualize your happy healthy body. Breathe and with each breath visualize strength and healing. That is my vision of you Gloria, strong and healthy.
Thinking of you and your family, sending positive energy your way!
Billie
Gloria, my heart breaks for what yesterday brought to you, but I'm hopeful that you'll have more days like today and less like yesterday. It's still one minute at a time, one hour at a time, one day at a time. I know you can do this, Gloria...we are all with you and we will continue to hold you fiercely with our positive thoughts, healing prayers, and deepest love for as long as you need us. We are one big team, and you are the reason for our coming together. That's a lot of power surrounding you! Take strength from that....and just keep going!
ReplyDeleteThinking of you...and believing in you...as always!
All my love,
Teresa
Hi Mrs. Goldman, just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you. I am really happy Karen and Becca are there to help you through this - terrible to read you had such an awful day. A mind is a powerful thing so keep strong and know many people love you! Love, Julie Rucker and family
ReplyDeleteDarling, darlin' GG,
ReplyDeleteHow I ache for you. I remember my "buzz cut" and feeling so, so exhausted. I think of you so many times a day and wish I could sit by your bedside and talk about all the funny times we've shared at TISON (and nasty gossip we used to love!) ... way before you became such a brilliant nursing educator/administrator.
Les & I love you so much, G.
Hope you can feel our arms around you.
Glo worm.
ReplyDeleteThe work of healing seems to be a double edged sword...the hardest edge is the side you are confronting now. It breaks my heart knowing about all you are enduring. It matters not that what is happening to you now is to be expected--- "normal" for the treatment you are receiving. The reality is that it SUCKS, for you most of all b/c you are the one experiencing it, and also for everyone around you who wants so desperately to make this easier and more comfortable for you but can't. I am so proud of the way you all have "put on your big girl/boy panties" and are continuing to march on. Hell is not a place you want to stay, so girl, keep on moving. Keep using all the tools at your disposal (medical and otherwise) and keep believing that as you continue to take it one step at a time, you are moving ever closer to the other edge of the sword... the HEALING /HEALTHY side. May my love and the positive healing energy I send, meld with that of and all of us who so love you much, help to make your journey shorter and more bearable. May you have the the strength to keep moving through it and not lose sight of the return to health that is on the other side.
No surprise that you look adorable with a shaved head... just try to keep that head in front of the TV and away from a collision path with it. I love you girlfriend with everything I've got. Bev