The last few days have been relatively peaceful, despite the diagnosis of vancomycin-resistant enteroccocus (VRE), which has put Mom into isolation. Sounds scary but it just means we have to wear gowns and gloves when in the room, so that we don't take any bacteria to immuno-compromised patients on the floor. In reality, most nurses probably have this bug, so it probably isn't a big deal, and as long as it stays put in her gut we should be good to go. Plus, the best news is that Mom's white blood cell count is slowly creeping up and is now over 500 and her platelets are above normal! As long as there are no more fevers, this means that in a few days we can go home for a few days to allow Mom's bone marrow to recover to the point where she is ready for round two of chemotherapy. Mom is looking forward to being home for a little while. She is starting to look better and feel better, even though she swears she looks like yoda without her hair. She also mentioned something about goblins and elves. Make up your mind Glo!
Thanks again for the continued love and support. Team Gloria is looking forward to a little Dayton time as well, especially the comfort of a real bed!
Much love,
Rebecca, Karen and Sid
Pleased to hear they have isolated this bug and are treating it appropriately. The best news of all is you will soon get to come home for a little while! YEAH!! I know you are looking forward to a few days in your own bed. My prayers and love are with you, Gloria, as to move slowly and steadily toward health and eventually feeling like your "old" self. Don't forget you are a lot older than I am, so take it easy, my friend. :-) My best to that terrific team of yours - Rebecca, Karen, and Sid. But most of all, my continued care and concern for the hard work you are doing to get well. Looking forward to seeing you in the near future.
ReplyDeleteTeam Gloria ROCKS!!!! I am so happy to hear about your progress and that you will get to head home soon for some real R & R. I know Tom is giving you a hard time about being older than him, but I think you could still take him 2 out of 3 falls if you wanted. I'm so glad you are an overachiever... it's coming in handy.
ReplyDeletePrayers, hugs and love,
dave
Good news all the way around. What a relief it will be to be out of the hospital for a while. I haven't thanked Rebecca, Karen and Sid for doing the blog. I have so appreciated being able to keep tabs on what is happening.
ReplyDeleteAlways in my thoughts,
Kay
Sweet Friend, We are so hoping you can go home soon and sleep in your own bed. Truly, you're in our thoughts and conversation constantly. We've just returned home from a "fishing week" in the Oregon Cascades and talked each morning as we settled into the boat at 6AM (S**T! BB is getting way too creaky for this) of you and how we enjoyed your visit and "good sportsmanship" at the Metolius River here in Oregon a few years ago. We truly sent more prayers to the mountain tops that you were having a restful day ... I'm (BB) always tearing up just saying your name and wishing you WELL every day!
ReplyDeleteLove you, hug you, our darling G.
BB & Les
I am so glad to hear that you will be able to come home for awhile. I am so appreciative of getting updates about you via this blog. All my love and healing thoughts.
ReplyDeleteLori
Gloria, this is such great news all the way around...well, maybe except for your looking like Yoda, but we'll take you any way we can get you! :) You might start a new fashion trend, you never know!!! Seriously, I'm so happy to hear that your blood cells and platelets are starting to do their thing and that you can go home for a few days. Hurray!!!!!! Much love to you and your team...as always!
ReplyDeleteGo Gloria! Go white blood cells! Go platelets! You rock! Glad to hear you'll be home soon to regroup for the next phase. I think buzz cuts on ladies are hot - just so you know.
ReplyDeleteI miss you lovely people over there!
Love Jessica
Gloria, I think you make a cute looking Yoda. Needless to say Rebecca keeps us in the loop and you and your team are the focus of our daily meditations here at Lotus in the Pines. So glad progress is being made and you get to spend some time at home in your home and your own bed.
ReplyDeletexoxoxo,
Scotti
Boudreaux and Marie were sitting on their front porch on their fiftieth anniversary, when suddenly, Marie picks up her walking cane and wops Boudreaux across his shins. Boudreaux cries out in pain and yells, "Dammit, Marie, why for you did dat ?" Marie tells him, "Dat's for fifty years of bad sex !" A few minutes later, Boudreaux picks up his cane and wops Marie across her shins. Marie screams at Boudreaux, "Why for you hit me like dat ?" Boudreaux says, "Dat's for knowin' de difference !"
ReplyDeleteAnother Boudreaux and Thibodeaux joke from Scotti and Richard. They say laughter is good medicine so we hope we have sent you a laugh today.
Much love,
Scotti and Richard