Greetings,
It's a rather lazy Sunday here at The James. Gloria has been enjoying her interactions with her nurses and PCA's (Patient Care Assistants), especially those who are recent nursing grads waiting to take the licensing exam. Funny story: one PCA, who grew up in Dayton, was taking her blood pressure, talking about his plans to enter the nursing program at Columbus State. He told her that his mom and two sisters were RNs, and that one had become a dentist...to which Gloria replied, "Betsy?". Yes, she had taught his sister in the early 1990s.
She has also met a couple of nurses from Louisiana, which has made her happy and a little homesick. Karen has remarked that she feels like she's an extra in an episode of "Grey's Anatomy," as one of the requirements for working at The James seems to be that you must not just be lovely on the inside, but good looking as well.
Gloria's doctors seem pleased with how things are going. Things are exactly where they're supposed to be on day six of chemo.
There is a very interesting article on the front page of The New York Times today about gene sequencing treatment for leukemia. While the leukemia mentioned is somewhat different, the gene mutation mentioned is the same. You can read it here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/health/in-gene-sequencing-treatment-for-leukemia-glimpses-of-the-future.html?_r=1&ref=global-home
Love,
Karen, Rebecca, and Sidney
Great article from the New York Times. Thanks for giving us the link. I am so glad that the doctors are pleased with how things are going. Familiar faces, connections, kind people and eye candy - sounds like a winning combination.
ReplyDeletexoxoxo from "Biscotti"
Thanks for the update...and for the great stories! Yep, it seems that life is indeed interesting at The James! :) I have to say I could not be happier to know that things are going well and as planned and expected. Yay! Sleep well, Gloria!
ReplyDeleteGood morning! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update. I so appreciate hearing how things are going and particularly how Gloria is doing. Heading down to the campus for a CTL meeting with Kathy and others. I know we will have you on our minds, regardless of what we discuss. As a matter of fact, you are rarely out of my thoughts and prayers. I'm encouraged by what I'm reading about the gene treatment and look forward to hearing some of the results of the chemo combined with the experimental drug. Take care, my friend, and know that you are cared for and loved by so many, as you begin week two.
ReplyDeleteIt is wonderful to hear about all the special people caring for you at James. I am hoping by now that an angel of a nurse by the name of Vickie has stopped by, she is a Sinclair nursing graduate. It feels good to have familiar and I knew it would be a nice surprise and a gift. I told Vickie she would be a gift with a big bow on top. I love the new approach of meditating and guided imagery. I truly believe in visualization I think it makes you feel more in control. "We all possess more power and greater possibilities than we realize, and visualizing is one of the greatest of these powers. Visualizing is the great secret of success. If you can't see it you can't have it..." (Genevieve Behrend). I am completing my Wellcoach training and this is one of the tools that we use. Gloria, I see you healthy, strong, happy and cancer free everyday...Love you bunches! Billie
ReplyDeleteGreat story! The people at The James (I am partial to your floor too as you know Karen) are the most fantastic human beings. Glad you are being taken care of by the best. Hugs Kristin
ReplyDeleteWe are thinking of you and wishing for great success with the treatments. The clinical trial sounds so promising. These blog posts are a gift to everyone who want to know how you are doing and keep up with your progress. Does Sydney even know what a blog is? Love, Ann and Steve Kavanaugh
ReplyDeleteGloria - Just wanted to let you know thinking of you and sending a few thoughts and prayers your way this morning. It is so nice to be able to find out how you are doing through this blog. Glad to hear that things are where they should be, and I hope it stays that way. Love, Jared
ReplyDeleteGood morning, Gloria! Still thinking about you every day...and still sending those prayers every day. Love you, my friend!
ReplyDeleteI always hated it when the oncologist said I was right where I should be. It usually meant I felt awful but he was glad I didn't feel worse. Here's to only feeling as yucky as you need to but no worse. I think about you every day. Love, Kay
ReplyDelete