On Friday afternoon, we suddenly got the news that it was time for Gloria to leave the James Cancer Center. Karen and Rebecca hurriedly packed the room while Gloria prepared to get discharged. This meant getting a new, ahem, less-than-fashionable fanny pack to house her 24-hour infusion penicillin that she has to tote around. Good times. Leaving the hospital was rather surreal for Mom and she even mentioned having a bit of Stockholm Syndrome when she woke up at home on Saturday morning. However, she seems to be getting more used to it, enjoying the daily care and coddling from Team Gloria. She's already showing signs of an improved appetite and seems to be getting stronger by the minute. Having said that, there are still concerns that her white count is fairly low, making her at risk to infection. This means that we are still asking that people don't come over for the time being. We go back to the outpatient clinic on Wednesday for a bone marrow biopsy and will find out when Mom will be re-admitted to the James for consolidation therapy. We will let people know when Mom is ready for visitors.
In the meantime, we are enjoying our time together at home. We've been cooking (Karen made a fantastic pot of chicken soup), relaxing, meditating, watching some television and walking on the treadmill. Karen and Rebecca are taking over from Theresa, who has been taking care of the indoor plants, and Mom's neighbor Tina, who has been taking great care of the outside plants. It has been such a blessing to have their help, and we have been enjoying the fruits of their labor, including this wonderful visitor to the butterfly bush in the backyard.
Much love to all,
Rebecca, Karen and Sidney
Gloria and Team Goldman,
ReplyDeleteWelcome home! I hope you each will enjoy this time together away from the hospital. Sending hugs and good wishes your way -
Love,
Helen
The very best news on a very beautiful day! We drove through Oakwood today and I was wondering and thinking how you are doing and how you might be feeling. Little did I know you were at home enjoying homemade meals and pretty butterflies in the yard :0) I wish you the best on Wed. with your biopsy. I am amazed at the power of your little body but it proves that your strength, will power and determination can overcome!! I seriously doubt you look like Yoda but if you would like, the girls and Sid can post a picture and we can vote...just kidding! I'm certain you look as amazing as ever! Many hugs to you, Sid and the girls. I think of you often and continue to say many prayers for strength, peace and healing.
ReplyDeleteMuch Love!
M
This is a terrific bit of news, Gloria. You know that butterfly was there specifically to welcome you home. He represents all of us who would love to visit but know that our best gift to you must be given at a distance!
ReplyDeleteLet's try the zen closing - Namaste, Marcia
Hurray!!!!! I'll be thinking and praying for you on Wednesday...just as I have everyday! :) Love you!!!
ReplyDeleteWELCOME HOME! So good to have you back in Dayton. I think of you all the time but for sure each time I drive to and from Lisa's house--which is often. Now as I glance in that direction, I know you are tucked in and enjoying your home again. Sending you all kinds of healing thoughts and prayers for a steady path toward renewed strength.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Tom
What Wonderful News!!! I imagine you are thrilled to be home. Rest up and I'll be thinking about you on Wednesday.
ReplyDeleteKeri
So happy to hear you are home. There is something therapeutic about sleeping in your own bed and being surrounded by your belongings. I will be sending a double dose of positive thoughts on Wednesday. Be well!
ReplyDeletelove - dave
Yeah! Welcome home.
ReplyDeleteHello, again! :) That's all...just wanted to say hi! Love you!
ReplyDeleteI sent a cicada and a cricket to your welcome home party - did they arrive? Those bugs can be so damn unreliable. But... if you see a non-praying mantis you can be sure he's from me!
ReplyDeleteLove you to bits. Ali
So glad to have the news that you are home. I love sister butterfly that according to my traditions of old,carries the prayers of many directly to the throne of Mother Earth and Father Spirit! Many blessings to Team Gloria !
ReplyDeleteGlo and GTeam Goldman,
ReplyDeleteVisiting Jessica and family in California. Home tomorrow. Every time I miss a day or 2 of looking at your blog, I miss something wonderful!! Am totally thrilled for you. Sooooooo cool!! Welcome back to the world of the almost healthy. May you return there permanently very soon.
Welcome home! I totally understand that Stockholm syndrome experience, The same thing happened to me post heart attack.
Will call you when I get home.
I love you, Bev
Darlin' G.,
ReplyDeleteWelcome home! Doesn't your bed feel comfy? And that chicken soup is truly good for the soul. Bless Karen, Becca and Sid for taking such good care of you ... as you have always taken such good care of them. How wonderful to be surrounded by such love ... all of us send butterflies to your windows to make you smile. Will be thinking of you with lots of hugs on Wednesday. How special you are in so many lives!
Love you, BB & Les
Hi, Gloria! Do you feel all the love around you? It's so strong and intense...and will carry you to tomorrow and the hope of really good news! Love you lots!
ReplyDeleteGloria -
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you are home! Hope things keep moving in the right direction, and you get nothing but good news in the days to come.
Love, Jared
I'm sending lots of positive thoughts and strong prayers your way today, Gloria! :)
ReplyDeleteHi Gloria -
ReplyDeleteJust wanted you to know Kate and I are following you now. Guess you both have some hard work to do over these coming weeks. We'll just be sending even more positive thoughts into the universe to guide and hold you and your family.
Good morning, Gloria! :) I want to tell you something... We were talking to Nate last night (he's been home in TN now for about a month), and we were telling him that his dad got good news about his eyes yesterday. Nate said that he's been praying for that. He then went on to list those he's been praying for...and he named you as one of those...and you know what they say about the prayers from children! So, take strength from that! We all send our love and our thoughts and our prayers to you always.
ReplyDeleteWell, it's me again! :) I'm hoping all went well yesterday as planned and you are now free to roam about a bit!! Still thinking of you ALL the time....and with much love and prayers....
ReplyDeleteSuch wonderful news. We knew you could do it.
ReplyDeleteXO Ann and Steve