Not too long after our not so good day Gloria got the results from her bone marrow biopsy and it turned out to be good news. The biopsy showed that Mom's bone marrow is free of leukemia cells. So Gloria is officially in remission! The trick now is to keep her there and, of course, to get her white blood cell count up to where she can fight off infection on her own. This means that we will be in the hospital for a few more weeks while she builds up the cells in her bone marrow and has high enough white blood cell, hemoglobin and platelet counts to go home for a week or so. After that, Gloria will have to return to the James in order to get consolidation therapy, which is a 5-day chemotherapy treatment. Cautious optimism is the mood of the Team. Now more than ever do we remain vigilant, keeping Mom free of infection and dealing with the difficult side-effects. Thanks again to everyone for your healing thoughts and prayers! Mom remains determined and though tired, maintains her sense of humor. One example: everytime she has to show the nurses and doctors her rash, she has been telling them that she feels like she is in New Orleans at Mardi Gras and is "showing her tits". Yesterday the alternative therapies nurse, Marjorie, brought some well-deserved Mardi-Gras beads. We are still smiling.
Lots of love and ever optimistic,
Team Gloria
WOO HOO!!!!!!!! Gloria, this is WONDERFUL news!!!!!!! Count on all of us to keep sending prayers, love and strength!
ReplyDeletelove, dave
So exciting to hear this news! I think everyone is breathing a great sigh of relief. Dave called us all into his office when he saw the post, and we all crowded around his computer to read, lots of excitement and smiles all around the room. There are so many people who love you and are pulling for you! Still sending thoughts and prayers your way, but I am so relieved to hear things are looking up. Jared
ReplyDeleteAMAZING, WONDERFUL, AWESOME, and F'ING FABULOUS!!! Thanks for the good news on one of our favorite people!
ReplyDeleteWell, F THAT, Leukemia!!!!!!! :) Great news. If anyone can beat this thing, it is you. So very good to read the most recent post about remission. Go, Gloria and Team Gloria. Just keep showing those tits, if it helps you stay better!!
ReplyDeleteSending hugs your way.
Lori
Excellent news! Still sending positive thoughts and energy.
ReplyDeleteOK...our Catholic prayers are working ... (Les is probably praying to the Tour d'France god ... who knows?) Oh my sweet friend, I'm so wanting you to feel better and maybe have a cup of gumbo soon. Know how we love you. What a wonderful friend you have always been!
ReplyDeleteSending MORE love and hugs,
BB & Les
So... you'll be back on September 1 then, right? :) I don't know why you had to go and get us all worked up like this.
ReplyDeleteI love you G.L.O.R.I.A. - this is such fantastic news that there really aren't words to express the weight it lifted from my heart. Thank you for putting in all the hard work for all of us and for keeping walking ... you are amazing.
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!! So happy to here this news!!!! I can't find anything in myself that says you are leaving anytime soon. I looked in my gut, and it tells me you're remaining here with us people that love you.
ReplyDeleteGute, gute Besserung Gloria ("good, good bettering"as they say)!
A few reinforcements left Berlin today on the way to you and your team. I hope they reach you fresh and ready to get down to business.
Love Jessica
YEAH!!! Got the call from Helen as we were leaving for dinner here at the beach in SC. The first thing we all did at dinner was raise our glasses in a celebratory toast to the wonderful news and the strength and courage of our friend, Gloria Goldman! Fantastic news! Now we continue our prayers and positive thoughts for improved health on the road to recovery. Way to go, Gloria! Keep up the good work! And know that we send our love and very best wishes for steady progress toward recovery.
ReplyDeleteGloria, I'm so happy...can't write now; more later...I can't see through the tears. I love you...and continue my daily prayers. Much thanks and love to your family too!
ReplyDeleteI haven't stopped smiling since I heard this news yesterday! PRAYER WORKS!!!
ReplyDeleteFa cough, Leukemia!!!
Gloria,
ReplyDeleteSounds like your body is doing what it should-this must lift your spirits. Wish i had a clever joke for you, but I don't. Ok, so I'll wish for you feeling rested and ready to fight on, is that a good one? Hugs to you and the Team. Jean Graham
Much laughter and joy in my spirit over the good news.Staying focused on the sheer joy of your recovery and the feel of your arms in an embrace of victory! Positive Loving Thoughts to you and your wonderful team!
ReplyDeleteYEEEEEE HAH!
ReplyDeleteJust had a wonderful conversation w/Karen and got the GREAT news. See what I get when I take one day off of looking @ your blog. That'll teach me.
I wish I had the words to describe the feeling that went through me when Karen told me that you were in remission. Like a bolt of joy coursing through my body---even my knees had the chills. I am sitting here just letting the joy of this news sink into my being. I realize you still have a way to go, but I believe that the worst is behind you.
If there is anything good about your experience it is knowing that you are surrounded by love AND that both your daughters and your sister are are amazing women...they have clearly inherited (and share) your titanium spine. Throughout this whole episode,, they (and Sid too) did and continue to do exactly what they need to do for you and never thought twice about it. When they look back on this experience in a couple of months, they will wonder how they did it, and where that strength came from. Crappy way to learn that lesson, but valuable information nonetheless Same goes for you too, sweetie, you endured, took it one day (hour, minute,second) at a time, pulled on your big girl panties and kept moving...and look where you landed! Plus, now you're getting a couple of hours a day w/o Dr. Standford (wonderful news in its own right.) I realize this is not over yet, but it is surely a giant leap in the right direction.
Love you still, always will. Bev
Yep, it's a beautiful day today, Gloria! The sun is shining; the air is cool...and it's all the more glorious because of you and the absence of those unwanted team members. Take a deep breath, smile, and know that all of us are also breathing a little easier and smiling. It's not over yet...this we know...but it sure feels good to know that a huge hurdle has been overturned! :)Much love from all of us here to all of you there!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the good news. OK so I'm crying
ReplyDeletewith happiness. I promise to be cautiously optimistic, but
Gloria this is well-deserved good news!
Sorry for my delay in response but this new fangled
blog thing is challenging.
The silver lining to being bald is that you have so much
more free time. No dryer; washing is a snap; no lengthy
hair appointments and you save money on hair products.
Your hair will grow back and you'll be annoyed that it is
curley because of the humidity.
Love and germ -free e-kisses,
Robin and Mike
Hooray for team Gloria!
ReplyDeleteWhat welcome and wonderful news. Your caregivers and formidable anti-germ gatekeepers are doing a fabulous job. Keep it up, everyone. THANK YOU, Thank you, for all you are doing -- Rebecca, Karen, Sidney, BECKY -- and for keeping Gloria in the best possible physical and emotional state every moment.
CURLY blonde hair will look adorable on you, Gloria.... You will (and do)always look beautiful and glamorous no matter what.
Our internet has been out and I wish I had seen this great news days ago! Have been thinking of you constantly and am going to resolve to be more diligent about trying to find a wireless spot every day in order to keep up with your progress better.
Love and HUGE hugs to Rebecca, Karen and Sidney. And of course, to YOU!
Take good care, GLO!
Ruthie B
Oh, what GLORIAs good news! The whole Northeast Cheering Squad is singing Hallelujah! Aaaa-men!
ReplyDeleteAAAAA men!! A--a-men, a-men, a-MEN! With love, and daily good wishes and prayers,
Marlene and Jerry and family.
Hey GG! We were traveling to Hilton Head and just got back to the blog. We heard the good news as we were leaving town. So thrilled to see you fight the good fight!!!
ReplyDeleteWe continue to think about you and pray this remission will be the case forever.
You know we love you and we cannot wait to see you when it is safe for you! Hang-in darlin!
Love,
Denise & Barb